Wednesday, February 27, 2008

If you're a wuss go play rec ball

So the whole hazing thing and its affect on pledging is really bugging me.  First of all nothing we do is hazing in anyway and we have all done it, survived, grown, and enjoyed it.  Now things have gotten to the point where Informal is going to be a joke.  I feel like we might as well have rush and give them pins at pref dinner.  whatever happened to earning something.
The statement was made that, "this is a social organization and we can't ask them to do anything".  well I understand that to a pont, but the thing is that they made the choice to pledge when they signed that lil paper and with that they should know their are certain tradition that come with it.  To better explain my train of thought I'm going to compare it to playing softball...
So I played rec softball for 9 years before I got to high school.  When it came time to dicide if I wanted to pl
ay softball I knew that it was going to involve more time, dedication an effort than rec ball did.  I didn't just go up to the coach and say, "hi.  I played 9 years of ball so I should be on varsity".  I went to try outs, showed the coaches what I had and waited for their decision.  Like other
s before I didnt go to varsity as a freshman, I went on jv.  And making the team was just the beginning.  I had to prove that I deserved to be on the team and start each game.  Aloing with that came lots of running, diving, hitting, fielding, throwing, scars, and horrible tan lines.  Unlike pledging, when informal is at the end, we have hell week at the beginning on the season.  Now they call it hell week for a reason.  It's a lot of conditioning and while we were tired and complained a lil, we never called cif and told them we were being hazed because the coach was making us run 2 miles a day!!!  If you played sports in high school you may cringe when you think of hell week, but we all know it was wo
rth it, because there was so much to be learned and improved so that some day we could be on varsity too.  If I wanted to compare Delta to a softball team in the area I would say we are a EastLake, Bonita, Torrey Pines, or even Scrpits ranch program.  we expect a lot out of the girls that come in and we want them to improve so that when the varisty girls graduate they are ready step right into their shoes and continue to be successful.  I never want to be a Sweatwater, Southwest, or Marian program, where you're a starting varsity pitcher if you have a glove and have played 2 seasons ball.  If a good team just asked a bunch of girls what position they played without actually seeing them in action how 
successful do you think that team would be.
I guess my point is that if you want to kick around and play for fun, go play rec ball, where you go and play 14 games, have a playoff and then start another season.  In other words, if all you want is so good fellowship and friends without having to show your loyality; go to campus crusade or refuge.  like we've been saying since 1925.... ADCHI OR DIE!!!

No comments: